Laboring at Home
I was feeling some mild cramps all day on Saturday, December 5. I started getting tired and emotional. I was ready to hold my baby. Eric was at work until 8pm. When he got home, I took a bath and listened to the Rainbow Relaxation CD. Then Eric made me Spaghetti. Earlier that night I had no appetite, but suddenly I was starving and I pigged out! I needed that energy to get through my birthing. I told Eric that I thought my surges were getting closer together. We timed a few and they were between 9 and 13 minutes apart. Then, I told him I wanted to stop timing so that I wouldn’t get anxious. Next, we watched one of the funniest movies of all time: Bean. Laughing really helped me relax while I was laboring.
There is nothing to fear but fear itself
Eventually my water broke at 1:20 in the morning on Sunday. I waited for an hour to make sure I was getting closer and stronger contractions. The Hypnobirthing book said to wait until the surges are 3.5 to 4.5 minutes apart to leave for the hospital. So I lay down to rest some more and Chloe kicked so hard I jumped out of bed. Then, I got a strong contraction and my water broke for a second time. I said to Eric “We need to go, now!” So we finished packing my stuff and left for the 20 minute ride to the hospital. I was starting to think that Chloe might make her appearance on the way there! I was praying all the way to the hospital and just breathing through each surge (contraction). When I felt fear or tension coming on, I said, “God has not given me a spirit of fear, but of power, love and a strong mind.” Half way there, Eric said, “You can do this.” And that was the only point I thought that I didn’t know if I would be able to get through it. I didn’t think that because of pain, but because of fear of pain.
At the Hospital
We got to the hospital at 3AM and they were shocked that I was 8 to 9 cm dilated and so calm. We told the nurse that we wanted to go natural. I also told her I didn't want everyone yelling at me to push. I wanted to breathe the baby down at our own pace. The nurse said okay. So I got admitted and into the room at 3:45. I just remember breathing and following my friend, Amanda’s advice to not think about the past or future contractions. It helped so much. I just felt pressure in my back. My mouth started getting dry so Eric fed me ice chips. That was the most refreshing treat I have ever had. I felt like I was in heaven!
To Push or Not to Push, That is the Question
Later, I had a strong urge to push, and my body just did it all for me. Then, the nurse started saying “DO NOT PUSH” because she hadn't checked me yet. She said that I could tear my uterus or something if I pushed before I was fully dilated. I did not even respond to what she said because I knew that I was fully dilated and my body was nudging my baby down on its own time. I didn't ask her to check me because I didn’t want her or my doctor to try to take over my pushing. I laughed in my head through 2 or 3 more contractions and pushes. Then the nurse said, “I need to check you.” By this point I knew that I was crowning. The doctor came in and I got in the stirrups and she said that I needed to hold my breath and push. Immediately a contraction came and Baby Chloe was birthed gently at 5:34 AM on Sunday Dec. 6th. Holding her for the first time was so surreal. I yelled, “I can’t believe we did it. No, God did this!” She was 6 lb and 13 ounces and perfectly alert and healthy! I love her so much and I will be hypnobirthing the next time I have a baby if God blesses me with another precious child.
No comments:
Post a Comment